With A Canopy Kit for Pendant Lighting
So you’ve purchased a canopy kit for pendant lights, but you aren’t sure what to do with all the parts and pieces. That’s OK! Color Cord Company is always here to help with step-by-step guides that take you from start to finish with ease. If you’re wondering how to install a pendant light fixture, our instructions will cover the tools and parts you need, as well as the individual steps, with tips and tricks from the experts.
As always, we recommend reaching out to a professional electrician for help installing your lighting if you find you need additional help or you’re newer to DIY light fixtures.
If you’re ready to dive in, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- Your Breaker
- Stripping & Wiring
- Socket Covers & Caps
- Canopy Installation
- Bulbs & Shades
Our canopy kit for pendant lights comes with most of the parts you need to get this installation done quickly. We’ll list what you should already have in your kit, as well as a few extras that will make this job easier.
- At Least 6” of Color Cord
- Socket Body & Cap
- Socket Cover
- Tubes & Fittings
- Shades for Some Kits
- Wire Stripping Tool
- Electrical Tape
- Screw Driver
- Light Bulbs
- Swag Hooks
- Cord Thumb Switch
- Cord Plug-In
Read through ALL the instructions before you start installing your pendant light fixture.
- Before installing your pendant light fixture, find your breaker and ensure that it’s turned off. Don’t just turn off the light switch!
- Now, it’s time to cut and strip the cloth-covered wire that came with your canopy kit for pendant lights. You can use any wire stripping tool to expose the three copper wires underneath. Slide the cord grip and socket over your cord and feed the wires through the socket cap.
- You’ll see three different colors insulating your copper wire – green, black, and white. The green ground wire goes into the ground insert of the socket cap, the black wire goes into the positive terminal, and the white wire goes into the negative terminal. Finish your wiring by tightening the ground set screw.
- The next part of installing your pendant light fixture is threading the socket body onto the cap until you feel it lock. Thread the cord grip onto it until it’s tight. Note you may need a wrench or pliers to get it fully secured. Only complete this step once you finish the wiring because after the two pieces lock, you will NOT be able to twist them open. If you have a socket cover, slide it over the socket.
If you’re installing a pendant light fixture with a shade, you would typically slide it onto the cord between steps three and four. The paper instructions that come with your kit will specify the order in which you should apply each part. If you’ve bought a shade separate from your kit, slide it on after the optional socket cover is in place.
- If you’re working with a junction box, attach your canopy mounting plate to the box with the screws provided in your kit. You’ll feed the wires through the holes in the canopy plate and secure them with the larger screws.
- Strip the other end of the color cord to expose the wires and twist together the conductor wires from your fixture into the junction box wires the same way you did with the socket cap – matching the positive black with the black, the negative white with the white, and the green grounding wire to the bare copper wire.
- Your kit should come with wire nuts, so use them to secure the twisted sets and cap them with electrical tape to ensure they’re completely immobile. Now, push all the wires into the junction box and push your ceiling canopy flush before inserting the smaller screws and fixing the piece in place.
- The final piece of the process to install a pendant light fixture is screwing in the light bulbs. Bulbs are not included in our kits, so please browse our entire selection to find compatible bulbs that work with your fixture specifications.
- Once your bulbs are screwed securely into place, you can go ahead and flip the breaker back on, click your light switch, and enjoy the bright lights pouring out from your brand new pendant light!
Add-Ons & Extras
At Color Cord Company, we’re all about customization. Whether you’re working to install a pendant light fixture that comes with all the pieces or you’re creating a fixture completely from scratch, there are tons of add-ons and extras to explore. We mentioned swag hooks, thumb switches, and cord plugs in our accessory materials, and each comes with its own set of installation instructions.
Depending on your customization and preferences, you may need to read through several articles and watch a few of our videos to get a complete picture for your personal fixture.
We’re Here to Help
If you need any assistance with installing a pendant light fixture or finding the appropriate guides for your project, we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact our team by phone or email for personalized guidance and advice!