Lighting a kitchen is probably one of the most creative design challenges you’ll face at home. A kitchen has to be well-lit in order to prepare food just the right way, but it needs ambient and natural light to be inviting for dinners with family and friends. If you have an open plan kitchen that’s visible from your home’s main living spaces, that’s a whole challenge in itself.
No worries! You’ve come to the right place. From pendant lighting ideas for the kitchen island to kitchen table lighting ideas, Color Cord Company is your number one resource for inspiration. Explore our favorite kitchen lighting ideas here to find configurations that will balance utility and style for any open-plan kitchen.
Why is the Kitchen So Important?
Kitchens are among the most-lived in spaces in all of our homes. They’re where we start our days with a cup of coffee or tea, and where we end up gathering with friends and family for weeknight dinners and special occasions alike. Naturally, we all want to make them as warm and inviting as possible.
Lighting is one of the most important ways you can transform and enhance the feeling, aesthetic, and warmth of your kitchen. With layered lighting that addresses every type of kitchen activity, you can create the perfect space for chopping and dicing or hosting and laughing with just a few flicks of a switch. Here are some tips for your kitchen lighting ideas to help you get started:
- Plan your task lighting, accent lighting, and ambient lighting.
- Consider lighting that looks great at any time of day.
- Mix and match. There’s always a balance with a contrast of fixtures and styles.
- Install dimmers for more flexibility during any event.
- Consult an electrician for complex wiring jobs.
Three Types of Lighting Your Kitchen Needs
Before diving too deep into the creative rabbit hole of pendant lighting ideas for the kitchen island and kitchen table lighting ideas, you’ll need to plan out the types of lighting that your kitchen needs:
- Task Lighting: This is the most focused and utilitarian lighting your kitchen will need. These won’t be the most prominent fixtures, but they should be the lights that help you read recipes and prepare food safely. Great task lighting can be found as commonly high-wattage lighting overhead or directly over countertops.
- Ambient Lighting: This is the main source of light for the room at night. Natural light is obviously great during the day, but you still need some kitchen lighting ideas to ensure your space looks great at night. This type of lighting should be warm, pleasing to look at, and cast the entire room in an ambient glow. Consider designer light bulbs diffused through lamp shades to cast a softer light.
- Accent Lighting: Accents like flush mount button lights or sconces are the flourishes that help balance your kitchen’s lighting. They can also help reduce glare or shadows in spaces left out by task and ambient lighting. You should consider accent lighting in the corners of your kitchen and dining areas, as well as under cabinets.
Ideas for Pendant Lighting Over a Kitchen Island
For open kitchens, pendant lights over an island are some of the most stylish kitchen lighting ideas! Pendant lights are a little more versatile and subtle than chandeliers, and they look amazing in any home. At Color Cord Company, our pendant lights offer a modern, minimalist aesthetic with clean lines that complement modern houses and traditional interiors alike.
You can even design your own pendant light or customize one you already like. You can explore port options that range between 2 and 17, up to six unique metallic finish colors, over 100 cloth covered cord hues, optional shades and cages, and swag hooks and canopies that will help you mount and hang your fixture any way you can imagine! Keep your kitchen lighting ideas minimal with one or two ports and a naked bulb or go over-the-top with 17 ports to create a cascading waterfall of lights!
Kitchen Table Lighting Ideas
If your kitchen has enough room for a table, include this area as part of your lighting design. Whether you love putting together a creative tablescape for holidays and special occasions or you just appreciate some soft lighting for weeknight dinners, consider these kitchen table lighting ideas:
- Customized Pendant Chandeliers
- Overhead Pendant Lights
- Plug-In Pendant Lights With A Bulb Cage
- Electric Candles
If any of these kitchen lighting ideas inspire you, start browsing our inventory of products to find exactly what you need to get started.
Lighting Design for Creative Homes
Color Cord Company is the definitive leader in creative lighting for any home 一 especially when it comes to kitchen lighting ideas that make the most of your space. Whether you have a massive kitchen and dining area or you have to make do with a compact space, we’re here to help with tons of guidance and inspiration.
We also have all the supplies you need to get started on your next project. Discover our signature cloth-covered electrical cord available in 100+ colors along with easy-to-install light fixtures, lamp parts, and light bulbs.
Want even more inspiration and lighting ideas for open kitchens? Check out our gallery to find designs for every type of kitchen!